Sunday, November 19, 2006

Not The Best Medicine.


I work with this lady, and she has a really annoying habit.

She laughs after everything she says.
Everything. It doesn't matter what it is.

It's not really a laugh; it's kind of a titter or a giggle. (It's not just around me, although I do have that effect on women.) I've even asked other people if they've noticed it and it seems to be universal.

I just don't understand it, and it drives me crazy. How do you function in life like that?

How do you tell anyone anything bad?
"Sorry to hear about your mom dying." (chuckle)
"It must be horrible" (Snicker)
What kind of message does that send?

I read it as an intelligence deficiency or just not being socially aware enough to know what's funny. This forces her to laugh at everything, just in case some thing actually is funny.
It's like packing her own laugh track with her. (A busted one of course.)

Sometimes I feel like just being deadpan with her.
Just give her the stone face and see if she knows what is going on.

She'd probably just laugh.

We'll see if she laughs with a pen in her eye.

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment