Friday, August 04, 2006

Run, Runner!

I just finished watching Logan's Run.

For those of you who are not familiar with the film, it's based in the future, in a society where you live in complete hedonistic pleasure until the age of 30. After that, you are hunted down and "terminated". (And that phrase from a movie eight years before Schwarzenegger would utter it.) I found it to be a good show, although a bit slow in pacing. You can certainly tell it was made before Star Wars - just by the visual effects alone. But all in all, it's the premise that intrigues me the most.

What would you do with your life if you only had a set time to live it?

I think thirty is a bit unrealistic, as I'm just over that myself, but what if you could only live until forty? Or fifty? Would you fritter and piss away half your life before you decide what to do? Would each relationship have a sense of urgency about it? You'd never have time to "see how it works out", because what if it doesn't? Poof - you're forty. And dead.

I think our society couldn't handle it. It would force us to make decisions, when 95% of the population just wants to sit on their ass. Most people come out of high school with no idea what they want to do in life. How would that feel if you already knew your life was one-third over? If it was me, I would have picked a major. Screw all those wood-shop and spare blocks, I would have done courses that worked towards something. Maybe something like Independent Studies or Calculus, whatever the hell that means.

Of course there would always be the people who would goof off and then be surprised that they were being carted away. But I do think that if each moment counted that much more there would be less cases of ADD. You'd have to pay attention to what you were doing, because if you get distracted, next thing you know you're forty and dead.

Come to think of it, I'd have probably pursed my dreams of Rock Stardom or Wanton Sex God.

You don't need Calculus for either of those, right?

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment