Friday, June 01, 2007

"Mr. Gorbachev, Tear Down This Wall"

On one side of my property, there is a fence.

Actually, there is a fence all around my yard, but that's not the point I'm trying to make. The fence on that side of my yard is starting to deteriorate, and needs replacement.

Now the only thing older than the fence itself is the guy whose yard it borders. He's about 156 years old - sweet guy, but I think he knew Christ when he was a small boy. He's too old to be of any help to repair the fence, and my skills at carpentry are only surpassed by my skills at juggling, harpoon throwing, and banging fat chicks (which is to say, I have no skill at all.)

The best case scenario is to have someone do it for me. That's where it's great having an Ancient Deity Elderly Person on my team. There is no way I'm going to pay too much for a fence when one of the negotiators remembers paying 3¢ for a loaf of bread. He'll help chop the price down for sure.

Should I feel bad about not going out and getting my hands grimy and full of wood slivers? Possibly, but I think that having something done by professionals will certainly look better and last longer than anything I could construct. And that adds value to my place.

If it doesn't go well I've always got Mike Holmes's number, right?


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment