Sunday, June 24, 2007

Just Look It Up...

Today I had to explain to someone at work what a "Pearl Necklace" was.

I know that there is lots of modern slang out there, and there is more coming everyday. I just got a handle on "Dope-a-lope" and people start coming out with new things like "Textual Intercourse" and "Commercide" - it's hard to keep up.

But Pearl Necklace?

Shit, that's been around since before there was dirt. The fact that it was a girl who was asking made the explanation slightly more ... awkward than you'd think. ( The fact that she was only a couple of years younger than me made it even more confusing.) What was she doing during High School? Didn't she keep up with the class? (If your my age, that's like not knowing what "Rad" meant.) Even ZZ Top wrote a song about it. (That's how the subject came up, in fact.)

I explained as best I could. (Let it be noted that I was a gentleman and did not offer to demonstrate.) I think she was more embarrassed than I was, just because I spent five minutes going "You really don't know what it is? C'mon, you're shitting me right?" before I enlightened her.

I didn't want to be the only uncomfortable one.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment