Sunday, January 15, 2012

Ramblin'


- I hate getting out of bed in the morning. Once I'm up, I'm okay - but prying myself out from under the covers when it's -6C outside is nigh-impossible.

- Six miles didn't feel like six miles until I hit six miles, if that makes any sense.

- Somedays I believe the only thing that will improve my pace is a downhill grade and a tailwind.

- I'm trying to tell myself that the pancakes I had with the Boys after my run were just a much-needed refueling of carbs and not just me gorging on tasty, tasty flapjacks.

- My love of near-instantaneous communication is balanced out by the anger I feel when my wife takes forever to answer a text. To point this out to her would not be in my best interests, I'm sure.

- I think the less I desire to be at work, the slower the clock moves. Why didn't Einstein have a theory for that?

- If I could go back in time, one of the things I would tell my younger self to do is to learn touch typing - my keyboard skills are so mediocre that I might as well post using a chisel and stone - it would almost be faster. He'd call me a nerd for having a blog, though - my younger self was a dick.

- As I approach 40, I've had many people ask if I'm doing something huge for the big day. I'm not sure, but isn't sitting in a dark room, eating donuts and rocking back and forth considered a "big thing"?

-Nothing interrupts a good train of thought like work or kids.

- Despite what you may think due to the title of this blog, I dislike the song "Ramblin' Man" - not that the Allman Brothers were hacks or anything, but let's be honest - the song sucks.

- Publishing your blog accidentally (before you spell check, add graphics, re-read, etc) is kinda like premature ejaculation - we all know it happens, but no one really wants to talk about it or admit it happens to them...

- And that previous statement was totally about a friend, and not about me...





Later.

3 comments:

  1. If I'm tracking correctly, you're a more experienced runner than this gal, but do you ever work hills or stairs into your workouts? Or, for warm ups do you do a few minutes of accelerations to get those fast twitch muscles workin?

    Also...have you tried running with nose clips?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every Tuesday is speedwork day - it's either hills, fartlek, or track (880s). To be honest, I dread Tuesdays, but it's the only way I'm going to become quicker than the average Kenyan.

    I've never tried accelerations for a warmup, but it's a good suggestion.

    ...and I'm no triathlete, but aren't you supposed to take the nose clips off when you get out of the water?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) We will never be faster than the average Kenyan. Give up on that now.

    2) Funny story... one of my triathlete friends forgot to take her bike helmet off after the bike part ... she ran a 5k with a bike helmet on her head. Thank GOD she had a good sense of humor about it because watching her cross the finish line with a helmet on her head...jesus...we couldn't stop laughing.

    ReplyDelete