Thursday, October 11, 2007

Bass-ackwards.

I was out doing errands today, and I kept running into the same lady over and over, no matter which store or parking lot I was in. (It's a small town, so this isn't the strangest thing.)

She was driving an import Land Rover - that's what made her so noticeable. It's a very nice vehicle, and I thought that it must be odd trying to re-learn to drive with the wheel on the right. I wouldn't mind having one myself.

It wasn't until I was in the Tim Horton's drive-thru that it occurred to me. When driving an import car in Canada, every single drive-thru is of no use to you - you're on the wrong side of the car.

I use drive-thru's a lot. As a parent, anytime I can get a prescription or stop at the bank without having to take the kids out of the car is so much better. To take that out of your life would be a pain in frustration. You'd still be able to use them, but you'd either need a passenger to do all your transactions, or else lean way over, defeating the convenience aspect of the drive-thru. (I'm not about to hand The Boy my bank card - "Punch in Daddy's PIN, son.")

So for now, the thought of an import car is just that - a thought. Until all drive-thru's involve robots to service either side of the car, I'll be on the left, leaning out the window and yelling into the speaker.

Later.

1 comment:

  1. Is it that bad?
    Really?

    I could re-edit - but I'll leave it for now. I'll let others bask in the brilliance of my mad Apostrophe habit. (I'm a Junkie.)

    Later.

    ReplyDelete