Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Awkward Silence.

I hate "The Pause".

You know the one that I'm talking about - the pause while you are waiting for the approval on your debit card when making a purchase.

Sometimes? No pause at all. Transaction completed and I'm on my way.

Occasionally it takes a bit longer and you start to question yourself. Did I punch in the right PIN? Was it the right account? Do I have money in that account? AmIgoingtolooklikeanassandhavetodoitalloveragain? Be aware that this is going through my mind within the five seconds it takes the machine to give it's friendly beep. (My paranoia knows no speed limit.)

I don't want to be one of those people who comes out on the negative end of The Pause. All of a sudden your whole existence as a human is put into question. What kind of life does this guy have if he can't co-ordinate $1.64 in his account for coffee? How did he get here - on the short bus? That's not the perception of myself I'd like others to have.

Thanks to modern technology I'm second-guessing myself almost every time I swipe my card.

Fuck it - I'm going to start paying cash.
But first I have to go to the ATM.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment