Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Nice Package.

Sometimes it just doesn't pay to be a DVD fan.

Whenever I'm buying a DVD I'll buy the Special Edition over the regular version. I like the better features and packaging - but then, doesn't everyone?

For most movies this is easy. They either release the Special Edition at the same time (300) or let you know it's coming and release it after a week or two. (Lord of the Rings). This gives you the chance to make a choice about what you want.

What pisses me off is when I wait and wait for a movie to finally come out on DVD and when it does, it's a bare-bones edition. I snatch it up, because sometimes that is all you are going to get. Then it turns out that six months down the road they release a Special Edition with all the bells and whistles.

Fuck you Hollywood - you know I'm going to want to buy it - in effect I'm buying the same movie twice. I know I could just suck it up and live with it, but do you have any idea how hard it is to look at your DVD rack and know that it's not what it could be? I can't even look at Reservoir Dogs without wishing it was the Gas Can Edition. Princess Bride? Yeah - I got fucked over by that one too. (Damn Dread Pirate Roberts Edition - it haunts me, it truly does.) But what do I do? "Sorry Boys, no food tonight - Daddy had to upgrade Escape from New York." It just doesn't seem reasonable.

I'm a junkie. I have a addiction. I know this.

So why doesn't Hollywood just make every edition a Special Edition? Can't they just relieve me of the agony of owning sub-standard DVD's? Something must be done. Something has to be done.

I'm thinking about writing my MLA about it, but I'm sure they'll put it on the back burner and go with some "popular" issue, like Education or Health Care. (You just can't fight the system.)

I'll carry on my one man crusade - and later on, in six months, it'll be Crusade! - Special Edition. (I'll be wearing a new shirt.)



Later.

1 comment:

  1. There's a DreadPirateRoberts edition?

    (And I'm jazzed that there are other sappy fools out there with TPB)

    If I don't got it, I'll buy the bigger version and trade you for your crap version if you pay the difference and 10%. (I mean, dude, it's been played already)

    See you in 3 days.

    ReplyDelete