Saturday, July 29, 2006

Ten Pounds Of Envy..In A Five Pound Sack.

I've always admired people who are quick thinkers.

The Internet has allowed for people with sharp ideas and a bit of time on their hands to make their fortune and garner a bit of praise while doing it.

But sometimes it's just retarded.

Take this, for example.

I'll be the first to give this guy props for doing what he did. He took an idea about trading a paperclip and ran with it. The fact that it caught on to worldwide attention only helped his cause. He accomplished his goal: he traded from a paperclip to a house.

That's where it should have ended.

Now this guy is going to write a book, and maybe get a movie out of it?
What kind of book can you write about this?
"Chapter 1 - put up blog about paperclip. Chapter 2 - traded paperclip for pen"
Well he had fourteen trades, we know the book will have at least fourteen chapters.

Is this book-worthy? Did he suffer hardship and loss? What's the story here, next to what you can already read, for free, on his blog? I just don't see what the point is.
I know I'm sounding bitter, but I'm not. I just think that we should congratulate him on a well done job and move on.

I don't need to see a book & movie deal for whatever the next fad on the Internet is either.

Does anyone see my point here, or am I just coming across as an envious son of a bitch? I'll admit, I wouldn't turn down a book deal if it was thrown at me, so I guess my problem isn't with him as much as it is with the publishers.

Or else my only problem is being crammed full of envy....

Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment