Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Change Or Lack Thereof.



I went back to the Gym today.

It's been a while, to say the least. I must have some residual guilt from the donuts last week, because I finally achieved the motivation to get my ass out of bed and go instead of shutting off the alarm and going back to sleep.
  •  I won't lie - both the boys are in school full time now, and it's waaay easier to go to the gym at 8:30am than it is at 5:30am.
  • If anyone happens to read the archives and recalls that guy who used to get out of bed at 5am after drinking all night and run 20 miles, could you ask him to come back? His body needs him.
When I walked in it was like an episode of The Twilight Zone (would that make me like a young William Shatner?) - everything looked the same, but there were subtle differences from the last time I was there:
  • New Girl behind the counter. Bigger than the last one, which is weird for a gym, and she didn't have any tattoos, which is unheard of in mine. (See my previous post "Iron = Ink")
  • Only one old lady. The early morning crowd is mainly Hardcores and Geriatrics. The Hardcores are there to get their early morning swole on, and the Geriatrics have either been up since 3am or got up out of fear of shitting their Depends.
  • 3 new pieces of equipment - another cable machine, an ab machine, and something to smack you on the ass and tell you how good you look in the mirror. Ok, maybe just 2 machines.
However, there were some good changes too:
  • No creepy old gay guy. There's a regular in the 5am group who, although it's not stated publicly, has to be gay - there's no other word for how much he appreciates being around other sweaty men. The gay I can handle - it's the creepy staring that just goes too far. And really, I know I'm an asshole, but I draw the line at publicly bitching out a 65 year old.
  • Barely anyone there - I know that will change as the summer ends and we all realize Winter is Coming (Game of Thrones fan, can ya tell?), but the fact that I didn't have to wait for anyone to finish on a machine or find out they were using the weights I wanted was great.
I busted out a workout, feeling the fact that I haven't been here in months with every rep. When you can't lift as much as you used to or run as fast as before, it's kinda humiliating. I swear I saw an extra jiggle when I was running on the treadmill - not a good sign.

But I got it done and still feel fine - at least until tomorrow. If I'm too stiff to type I might have issues.






Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment