Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Personal Space.

You know what annoys me?

Most of you do, as I tend to bitch about it all here, but I really dislike it when someone invades my personal space.

I'm sitting on the love-seat in the coffee room today, (Yes, the love-seat, although I don't know if it's been used for lovin' or not.) and I'm just relaxing, listening to music and bullshitting with one of the guys who was sitting on the couch.

One of the older ladies who I work with comes into the lunch room to have her coffee break and joins in on the conversation we are having. Now that's all fine and dandy, but then she goes and squeezes in beside me on the love-seat, almost sitting on my mp3 player, and crushing my leg.

Now I'm not a small guy, and I do take up some space on a two person love-seat. So why in God's name would you just sit down, without permission, and encroach on my personal area like that? I did comment on it, and she did move, but why wouldn't you just automatically respect another person's space?

That type of callous disregard for others tends to get me riled. Trust me, if I want someone to invade my space, it's a little more obvious. (wink wink, nudge nudge.) And there's no way I was putting out that kind of vibe to this woman.

Does it make you mad when someone gets inside your space like that? I'm not talking about angry in-your-face type shit, I mean just regular people. Close-talkers, grabbers, the people who don't seem to know any better; how do you deal with them?

I need some suggestions, otherwise I might snap next time.

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if it's easier for skinny people to not invade the personal space of others. They're tiny. Wee, even. It's gotta be easier for them to just not be all up in my room or something.

    I know that, when I'm at those teeny tables clipped to the sides of things in Timmy's, I'm all aware of how small the world is. While I secretly wonder if that's a non-verbal cue by the interior designer that we should get a little more metro and stop munching the bearclaws, I also wonder if the people who can fit in those things can naturlaly fit a little better on this planet.

    I promise I'll start dieting. Just one more bearclaw.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi

    I think you handled it in a good way. Maybe she was trying to make a nasty point out of that you actually did take up a two-person-seat though your just 1 person? In that case, you handled it great. It's not much to do except hoping that most people aren't as stupid as she probably was.

    ReplyDelete