Friday, January 13, 2006

Moment Of Panic.

So I get home from work today, nobody's home, the wife is out with the in-laws and has the boys with her, and I'm just expecting some "me" time, and a chance to veg.

I step farther into the house and I smell burnt plastic. A strong smell of burnt plastic.

Small sliver of fear sets in, as I run around the house checking all the heaters, thinking The Boy has left a toy near one, or some such thing.
No dice.

Run into the bedroom, suspecting the wife has left her curling iron or another strange female hair device on, expecting to see flames or whatever.
Nothing.

Check the laundry room, the garage, the living room, and the kitchen.
Nada.

Then I notice that my computer monitor is blank.
That's weird, as the wife never turns off the computer, and I'm one of those people who tend to leave it on, as I hop on and off the internet all night.

My computer's shut down. And the burning smell is coming from inside.
At approximately this moment, and for a period of 2.268 seconds, my heart stops beating.

After I choke the fear down,(and visions of burning dollar bills stop swimming through my brain), I pull the tower case off and discover that my CPU fan has pretty much melted on top of the heatsink. Thus the computer overheats and shuts down.

Not a huge deal, I can fix this type of problem, just have to get a new fan, install, run the machine and see if anything is broken. (anything else, I mean.) It took me about an hour, including driving downtown to get the parts, so it wasn't too bad.

But for that one small piece of time, I was about to lose it.

As you can tell, I blog almost everyday. It helps me to relax, and it allows me to organize my thoughts. I also do all my banking online, and I check my email so much you'd think I had ADD.
The thought of going without this vital tool for my everyday life was not comforting.

Now analysing my panic over a bunch of plastic and wires?

Baby, that's a whole other blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment