I was thinking today about movies. What are some of your earliest or fondest memories of movies from when you were younger? Why are they stuck in your memory? I'll say that Star Wars is a given, due to the overwhelming popularity it has in my generation, but I'll give an example of some others.
- Firefox : I remember this movie just because it was one of the coolest things a 10 year old could see at the time. Clint-mother-fuckin-Eastwood fightin' the Russkies? A jet controlled by your thoughts? Sheer Awesome. Did not hold up to repeated viewings.
- Fletch: This was a funny movie at the time, but the main reason I remember this one is because my brother and I were the only ones in the theatre, and they had to play it for us. We checked out all the different viewing angles from all the seats. I'm amazed the usher didn't tell us to just go home.
- The Dark Crystal: Freaky fucking Muppets. Some parts of this movie scared the shit out of me. Doesn't anymore though, I'm a manly man now.
- Corvette Summer: 'Cause when I first saw it, I was wondering why the hell Luke Skywalker was driving a car. ( I was only six, I hadn't really realized that actors played different roles.)
- Halloween 3: The only reason I'm even mentioning this piece of shit is because it was one of the first movies I ever watched at a Drive-In.
- The Muppet Movie: Because at the time, this was a huge event. My brother and I came out of this movie so high on endorphins, only to be slightly traumatized moments later when my Dad got into a car accident on the way home. ("Kid on bike off the windshield for $200 Alex")
- Raiders of the Lost Ark: Next to the obvious cool reasons for it being such a great movie, I really loved that the lead character was not only Han Solo, ( I learned my lesson from Corvette Summer) but this was the movie that made Archeology cool. (That was my dream in 1981, to be an archaeologist.) I didn't realize that whips were used for anything but archaeology until I saw porn.
- Zapped!: First time I recall seeing boobs in a movie. I could be wrong and it could be Fast Times at Ridgemont High, but they were both in the same year, so what. Now I think most movies are shit unless there are boobs in them. Sad, really.
- The Secret of Nimh: Just because it was a really cool animated movie that was the most un-disney like thing I had seen at the time.
That's all I can think of off the top of my head. If I really gave it some thought, then I could probably find more. I went with the movies from my child hood, Because if we went with movies that made me go "Holy Shit" , or whatever, that would be a whole other entry.....
Tell me what you remember about the movies of your younger years.