Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Failing Upwards.


Ever heard of the Peter Principle?

I'm pretty sure the entire concept is based off of a guy I work with.

I'll be the first to admit - my job isn't very hard. If you have a good demeanor, customer skills, and simple organizational ability you'll do just fine. (The basic parts of my job involve nothing more than that. The management stuff - it takes a bit more.)

The guy who is below me in the chain of command is also the guy who takes care of my section when I'm not there or when I'm being used in another area of the store. All he does is work that one section - it's all he's done for four years.

Yet he still has problems making simple decisions or just taking charge of a situation. I've tried to give him support and feedback, and even told him to just run it like I'm not there - yet he still doesn't get it. I've tried to help him with his organization - tried to make life as simple as possible - yet it just doesn't work. He can't seem to rise above that level of competence. I'd like for him to be able to run the section so I can go do something else, but it's like even that little bit of responsibility just makes him freeze like a deer in the headlights.

I think I'll keep trying, but it just gets so frustrating at times. I like the guy as a person - He's great to work with and he does work hard - he just doesn't work smart. And that is tough to tolerate on a long term basis.


I'm not at the point of stabbing him in the eye - yet.
But if you see him with an eye patch, you'll know I've had enough.


Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment