As I've said before, music is memory, but I also believe that liquor has it's part in memory as well. (Especially it's help in forgetting.)
Almost everyone remembers the first time they got drunk.
I mainly recall that my brother and I were about 9 or 10, and came upon the leftover, half empty dregs from my parents party the night before. It was some type of orange brandy that was being consumed after dinner, although we thought it was just funny tasting orange juice.
We were wrong.
And I think that has tainted me towards anything orange tasting for the last 20 years.
But if you look far enough back in your liquor history, I think that everyone has had at least one bad experience with almost any alcoholic beverage.
- Southern Comfort - Drank 26oz of this and threw up on someones dog. Yes, their dog. I never said I was a classy drunk.
- Coolers - Used to drink these just for show. I was able to drink four bottles in under 53 seconds. If I could keep my lunch down I was set for the evening. Chugged two liters of it once on a dare, and let me tell you, I showed everyone that I had hot dogs for lunch that day.
- Vodka - Can't really recall many times that I've had a bad experience with Vodka. That's because I normally black out and forget who the hell I am.
- Gin - Yes, Gin. I tend to drink Gin like it's going out of style, which it has. Last time I got wound up on this stuff was the Sidekicks birthday. Three in the morning, staggering home? Oh Yeah, great experience.
- Rum - Drank way too much, fell down a cliff. Enough said.
- Tequila - Oh hell yeah, who hasn't had a bad time with Tequila? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller? Anyone?
- Beer - Did you read about me at Grey Cup? No? Just skip it, nothing to see here.
- Jack Daniels - See Southern Comfort, just change dog to lawn, and it's where I slept as well.
- Sambuca - Passed out with my eyes open after this one. THAT scared the shit out of everyone, I tell you.
And that's the short list. Forget all the mixed drinks like Paralysers, White Russians, Tequila Sunrises and good 'ol Caesars. I don't have time to list all the stupid things I've done after consuming those types of drinks.
But even with that amount of bad memories, the good times I've had while ingesting beverages with my friends are countless and immeasurable. It's not the essential part to the get-together, but it sure does make it just a tad more haywire.
All and all, I do enjoy a good drink now and then. In moderation. I do learn my lesson, but like most lessons, it has to be constantly reinforced.