Tuesday, March 06, 2012

With a Little Help From My Friends.

For a guy who kind of puts his life out there for you to read, I haven't talked much about my weight.

I know I keep going on and on about all the miles I run, but there's been a big plus to overcoming the injuries of the past year and "finding" running again.

Since January 2nd, I've lost 27 pounds.

I know to some people that might not seem like a lot, but when you are 5'10" and pushing 40, it means quite a bit. I had put the weight on after stopping running (because of the Hip and PF) and eating like I was still doing 30+ miles a week. (Okay, I'll admit - donuts were involved.) Do that for almost a year and see where your pant size ends up.

There's a huge difference between 205 and 178.

How have I done it?

Here's some "Friends" that helped me:
Not pictured: The Smell.
 My Shoes:  If it weren't for them, I'd be sitting on the couch complaining about running in bare feet. I love these shoes. I've used them on treadmill, road, track, and trail and they've never failed me. They aren't flashy kicks, but they get the job done - and the white makes my pale-ass legs look darker.
I usually wear the Sportband on my wrist.
Nike+: I don't want to sound like a corporate shill, but the nerd in me loves my Nike+ Sportband. (I'd also like to say that the hat has been with me for the past 4 years and most of my races) The information it gives, the ease of use, and the reliability are huge factors for me. If it keeps working, the least I can do is keep running, right?

My Fitness Pal: I downloaded this app on January 1st, and I think it is what has made a huge difference in the weight that I've lost. I find it easy to use and stick with, and the fact that I can see and keep track of what (and how much) I'm eating makes thinking about correct food choices easier. It doesn't tell you what to eat: just lets you know what calories you're taking in and what you are expending. Your mileage may vary, but since I'm a geek who has his smartphone with him at all times, this works for me.
Triple T: I'm going to say that all the people I know through Blogger and all the encouragement you have all given me have helped, but I'd like to thank Triple T for being such a huge motivator. I'll admit - there are days when I don't want to go to the gym or hit the road - but knowing she's out there slogging through the Chicago weather so we can write about our runs makes me get my ass out of bed. I don't understand her fascination with Dog the Bounty Hunter, but I do understand what drives her to run. My Race is coming up soon, but you better believe I'll be doing my long runs well into May to help with her race.
My Wife: She doesn't complain when the alarm goes off at 5am. She makes sure I know ingredients and amounts in everything we eat. She even washes my Running gear if I haven't thrown it in the laundry. Having support like that is absolutely indescribable. If it wasn't for her, I'd still be a puddle of flesh sitting on the couch - and she'd love me anyways.


As you can see, with Friends like that, it's no wonder I'm looking and feeling better.


Here's to continued improvement!






Later.

3 comments:

  1. I can't even begin to tell you what a smile this put on my face today!!!

    My husband lost close to 30 lbs about two years ago (he's 5'8"ish), so I know what that kind of weight loss means. Congrats to you!

    Notice...I did not use the word 'journey'... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I proofread my post three times just to make sure the word "journey" never appeared. I feared the Wife's compulsive watching of the Biggest Loser had seeped through to what I write somehow.

      30 pounds will be a big number - I just couldn't wait to share.

      Delete
  2. I don't understand Triple T's fascination with Dog either...

    I am super happy for you. Losing weight feels so good! And being injury free is even better!

    ReplyDelete