Sunday, July 13, 2008

Sweating Bullets.


I think I'm going crazy, and here's proof:

I took yesterday off from the gym. It's good to let your body rest, and even I realize that you can't workout all the time.

I was going to go this morning, but decided to sleep in and have a family breakfast before I went to work at noon. As I was getting ready for work, I was feeling guilty about skipping the gym and then it occurred to me: run on my lunch (dinner) break.

It all seemed so simple: Pack my gym gear, get changed at work, run from work to the seawalk. I figured I'd only run a short bit, not too hard, and turn around 10 or so minutes in and head home for a shower and back to work.

I didn't figure on how retarded I am.

  • My work clothes, in a backpack, with shoes and keys and everything = about 10 pounds.
  • I'm running at 3:30 in the afternoon - probably the hotest part of the day.
  • I should have known that once I started, I wouldn't be able to stop at "just a little bit."
So what did I do?

I ran my usual 6K in almost my best time ever - with the extra 10 pounds on my back. When I got home, I was sweating like mad. I was even sweating after I came out of the shower. (That can't be right.) I was almost done sweating by the time I made it back to work.

Was it hard? Yes.

But it felt great.

I'm thinking of signing up for the local 10K that takes place in October. I could start training soon, and it'll fit right in with the workouts I'm doing now. It'll be one thing to check off my lifetime "To-Do" list.

Next time you see some fool running on the Seawalk in the heat of the day, honk and wave - I'll wave back if I can lift my arms.




Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment