Friday, July 04, 2008

Sounds Like A Joke.


What do you get when a woman from Ontario suffers brain damage?

- A Newfoundlander.

I know it sounds funny, but it's the real thing. An Ontario woman had a stroke and afterwards developed a Newfie accent. The Doctors treating her didn't know it, because they just assumed she was from Newfoundland originally. Turns out she's got Foreign Accent Syndrome, which causes the change in speech patterns.

I'm wondering - if I smack my head against the wall, will I sound like James Bond? I bet if I smacked it 1000 times, I'd sound like Bono. (Hope the Sidekick appreciates the unnecessary dig at his favorite Irish singer.)

I've got to admit, if that was the only repercussion of having a stoke you'd see people trying to get them all the time. ("Me? Just loading up on the bad cholesterol - I have to give a speech next week, and I'd really like to sound Australian.") Don't laugh - I could see it happening.

As for the lady above - it could have been much worse. As if living in Ontario wasn't bad enough, she could have lived there and sounded like a Quebecois. I wouldn't wish that on anyone.



Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment