Friday, April 25, 2008

Unfettered


I'm having a crisis of the faith again.

We just got back from Naniamo, where I helped the In-laws pick out a new laptop, and I've realized 2 things:


  1. Any trip over 1 hour is made so much easier with in-car DVD. I put in Teen Titans and the Kids just quiet right down. (I do look back and check that they are blinking every once in a while.)

  2. God I want one of these things.

I'm typing on it right now. I said I'd do the initial setup on it, and couldn't resist surfing and blogging just a bit. The fact that I'm doing it from my couch is a bonus.


It's all I ever dreamed.


I know I could get something 3 times as powerful for half the price. I know that whatever I buy will be obsolete in 3 months. I know all of this, yet I still want one. I want to be unfettered.


(Imagine only having sex in one room of your house for the rest of your life. Shitty, right? Well it's almost the same thing.)


But it's all a moot point anyway. I don't have the cash for a new laptop. I don't even have the cash for a used one. So I will remain chained to my desk for the forseeable future.



But I yearn to be free. Do you hear me? I yearn.



Later.


1 comment:

  1. Don't worry, dude. The "wow I can hack from the couch" thing gets boring about 3 cumulative hours in. And 3 hours of "Wheee, it's almost like the brochure" has nothing on "what do you mean I dumped a coke on my keyboard when the dog jumped onto the couch and the cost to fix it is $1300 more than a desktop?"

    Get a portable DVD player for $200 and even the score long before the laptop's batteries have run down and you realize the only open outlet is /behind/ the couch.

    ReplyDelete