But I find that when I talk to people, I tend to divide them up into groups, and each group has a different level of conversation. I know it doesn't make much sense, but I'll try to explain.
- Level 1: I don't know you, we've just met. - I'll talk to you about the weather, sports teams, non threatening global events, you get the picture.
- Level 2: Friendly Banter - "How's your wife and my kids" kinda shit. Slightly off color jokes OK, but nothing too extreme.
- Level 3: Opinions Count - We'll talk about semi-serious subjects, tell stories, relate some experiences. Nothing too deep, or personal. I may relate the occasional off -color comment.
- Level 4: I Care What You Think - I'll actually listen when you tell me things, and care about the results. I may confide in you, and you will experience what type of crude S.O.B I can be.
- Level 5: Let It All Hang Out - Not many make it this far. If you do, you either love me, or hate my guts. Your choice.
Everyday chats? Normally Level 1 or 2.
Coffee with the Sidekick? 5 all the way.
Am I crazy for thinking this way? Or does everyone do it to some extent?
How Deep do you go?