Friday, August 15, 2008

Herpes It Isn't.

For the first time in over three years, (at least) I got hit with a virus.

And it was a nasty one too.

It's called Xp Antivirus 2008, and I think I got it from a page that was supposed to link to article from the Chicago Sun-Times. My browser went funny after that, and a couple hours later my computer started acting up. It masquerades as part of Windows Security Centre, and claims that your computer is massively infected. (Which it is, but just by itself.)

Thank God I've trained my wife not to just randomly click "Ok" when she sees something like this. She called me at work and asked what she could do. I told her to get out of the chair and leave the room.

With the help of some trusty programs and skillful scrubbing of the registry, it's all gone now. In my research for removal and purging, I also found out that I'm not the only one who has been recently hit - it's cutting a path around the Internet right now - so it makes me feel somewhat relieved that I'm not the only idiot out there.

Careful browsing habits, people - I should practice what I preach.

Remember - double wrap before going in.




Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment